English Français 汉语/漢語 Español عربي


You can learn about British culture, from currency and language to acceptable manners, by reading the guidance provided by the British Council.


-Religion and faith


You are free to follow any religion and faith in the UK.


The largest faith community is Christian, followed by Islam, Hinduism, Sikhism, Judaism and Buddhism. There are also many people who are non-religious, secular, atheist, agnostic and humanist.


-Public holidays


There are several public holidays a year in Britain, known as bank holidays.




In the UK, people drive on the left-hand side of the road. Check to see if you can use your licence to drive in the UK.


If you intend to drive in the UK there are other requirements to be aware of including vehicle tax, MOT certification and insurance. For more information, visit the UK Government's Driver & Vehicle Licensing Agency website.




Read university of Bath guidance on how to get healthcare if you are an international student, including what costs you may have to pay.


-Working in the UK


If you are a Tier 4 visa holder there are restrictions on working in the UK;


If you have a Tier 4 (General) student visa you can:


*work part-time during term time - 20 hours per week if you are studying a degree course, 10 hours per week if your course is below degree level

*work full-time in University vacations and upon completion of your course until your visa expiry date

*work on a placement that forms part of your course with a Tier 4 visa (you do not need a separate work visa)


You may not:


*work for more than 20 hours per week in term time, except in the case of an agreed work placement which forms part of the course

provide services as a professional entertainer or sportsperson

be self-employed (registered with HMRC)

*engage in business activities. For example you must not:

work for a business in a capacity other than an employee in which you have a financial or other significant beneficial interest

*set up a business as a sole trader or under a partnership arrangement and that business is either trading or establishing a trading presence

*be employed by a company in which you hold shares of 10% or more (including where the shares are held in a trust for you)

*work for a company where you also hold a statutory role, such as a director


You also need a National Insurance Number to work in the UK.

Accessed from: University of Bath